Phase 1: 2015
- Establish at least 2 hives.
- Use existing hives in Virginia Beach as seeds to split out new hives for the Orchard.
- Clear blackberry brambles.
- The blackberries will be integrated into the orchard, so they will be managed in a way that fits with the landscape and environment.
- Plant 1 acre of permaculture berries and fruits.
- We will use some of our existing plants in Virginia Beach, but we will also invest in plants from local nurseries.
- This will include blueberries and blackberries, but also less common fruit such as paw paws, kiwi berries, goji berries, and wine berries. Diversity is key.
- Use ground cover for nitrogen fixing and honey flow.
Phase 2: 2016
- Establish at least 10 hives.
- Set up a cabin.
- This will probably be another 12′ X 20′ shed with a lofted barn. We will finish the inside and use it as a tiny house / cabin.
- Plant an additional 2 acres of permaculture berries and fruits.
Phases 3 through 5 coming soon.